Dear District Registrar
- The respondent requests an urgent telephone directions hearing in this matter to discuss the hearing listed for 22/23 April 2010.
- As has been previously raised with the Tribunal and the applicant, a majority of the exemptions claimed over documents which are the subject of the Tribunal’s review are in relation to personal information of 39 individuals. The respondent has been liaising with the applicant in an attempt to try and avoid or at least minimise unnecessarily involving the 39 individuals in this matter. Unfortunately, no agreement has been reached with the applicant.
- While liaising with the applicant, the respondent has held off writing to the 39 individuals to inform them of the AA T proceedings as required by s 59A of the Freedom of Information Act 1982. It is now apparent that the applicant will not forego his application insofar as it relates to the personal information of other individuals.
- It is the respondent’s view that the hearing on 22/23 April 2010 should be adjourned for a short period to allow the respondent to inform the third parties of the AAT proceedings as well as to allow the third parties to consider whether they may wish to join the proceedings to protect the disclosure of their personal information.
- In view of the proximity of the hearing date, we have not discussed this proposal with the applicant before notifying the Tribunal of our request. We have copies the applicant to this correspondence.
- Please contact Avinesh Chand if you wish to discuss this request further.